What Happens When You Don’t Change Your Furnace’s Air Filter
One of the most common issues that we come acress at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing in the U.S. is dusty air filters. They may seem like a very insignificant piece of the overall home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us create comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners notice. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a variety of issues for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you forget to switch out your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you might encounter:
- Decreased airflow. This is easily the largest problem you’ll recognize when your home’s air filter is very clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being changed, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this prevents air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working significantly harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is running harder because of a dirty air filter, you also run the danger of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s working overtime to give you cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a probability if your air filter goes unattended for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off all the time. When your system short cycles, it may overheat or break down from the added work, possibly causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shortened equipment lifecycle
- Decreased energy efficiency
- Diminished air quality
- More dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avoid any possible damage that could come with a clogged air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the various air filters we carry, give Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing a call at 866-397-3787 or schedule an appointment online.
How to Choose a Suitable HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable all year, nothing is more essential than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This choice influences your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and all-around home efficiency. However, with so many system types,... Continue reading
Year-End HVAC Maintenance Checklist
Now that the air starts to get cold, you know it’s time to winterize your residence for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is crucial to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace provides the comfort you want while using less energy. Routine inspections also make your... Continue reading
2024 Furnace and Air Conditioning Trends
In the ever-changing world of home heating and cooling, keeping up with the latest HVAC trends is crucial for homeowners who want to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. Looking into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing cutting-edge technologies and trends that promise... Continue reading