Tips to Safely Heat Your Home This Winter
Annually, over 20,000 people end up in the hospital due to carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is put off by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning increases during the colder months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your family safe, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing is here with a few tips to safety heat your home.
- Place a CO detector on every floor of your home and change the batteries annually.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a distance over three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, always check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Never leave portable heaters or fireplaces unwatched. Shut off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before leaving the area.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like concrete or tile. Keep young ones and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, buy a model that powers off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Do not use a cooking range to warm your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally examined and cleaned yearly.
The best thing you can do for your heating system is to make sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your family warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your furnace tune-up. During your fall tune-up, Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a total multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 866-397-3787 today and learn how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.
How to Choose a Suitable HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable all year, nothing is more essential than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This choice influences your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and all-around home efficiency. However, with so many system types,... Continue reading
Year-End HVAC Maintenance Checklist
Now that the air starts to get cold, you know it’s time to winterize your residence for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is crucial to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace provides the comfort you want while using less energy. Routine inspections also make your... Continue reading
2024 Furnace and Air Conditioning Trends
In the ever-changing world of home heating and cooling, keeping up with the latest HVAC trends is crucial for homeowners who want to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. Looking into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing cutting-edge technologies and trends that promise... Continue reading