Each year over 20,000 people go to the emergency room because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is produced by gas ranges, furnaces, fireplaces, stoves, and boilers so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the colder months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your home safe, Levy & Son Service Experts is here with a couple tips to safety heat your home.
- Install a CO detector on all floors of your home and change the batteries every year.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a minimum of three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and make sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like concrete or tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, purchase a model that shuts off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Never use a oven to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned annually.
The best thing you can do for your heating equipment is to make sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your family warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your furnace tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Levy & Son Service Experts will check to ensure your furnace is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 469-250-0932 today and learn how you can save on a fall tune-up through November 25th.