When bad weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair technician to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations were worth the time.
At Levy & Son Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets tossed around during severe weather. Just ensure you have turned the system fully off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a protected place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to return outdoors, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Levy & Son Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Dallas, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other problems that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for bad weather in Dallas or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 469-250-0932 or schedule an appointment with Levy & Son Service Experts through our online scheduler.