Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing odd noises when your air conditioner is running? There’s probably something wrong with your AC. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—problems down the road. We’re going to help you figure out what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling usually indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can’t pinpoint where the noise is originating from, that’s alright. An expert can help find out where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will generate a noise outside your house. Mature ductwork can cause noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can be created by a leaky refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is likely an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can be caused by a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A noticeable noise from your external unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about prevalent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep running my system when it’s making a noise?
There are a few cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s hard to answer this question without examining your system.
In most cases, we recommend shutting down the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there’s a problem with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it’s smart to get problems fixed right away. Contacting a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
How to Choose a Suitable HVAC System
When it comes to keeping your home comfortable all year, nothing is more essential than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This choice influences your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and all-around home efficiency. However, with so many system types,... Continue reading
Year-End HVAC Maintenance Checklist
Now that the air starts to get cold, you know it’s time to winterize your residence for the cooler months ahead. Your heating system is crucial to maintaining a cozy, warm setting. A well-maintained furnace provides the comfort you want while using less energy. Routine inspections also make your... Continue reading
2024 Furnace and Air Conditioning Trends
In the ever-changing world of home heating and cooling, keeping up with the latest HVAC trends is crucial for homeowners who want to enhance their home’s comfort and efficiency. Looking into 2024, the HVAC industry continues to innovate, bringing cutting-edge technologies and trends that promise... Continue reading