Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is running? There's probably something wrong with your system. If you don’t fix it, it could lead to extensive—and expensive—issues eventually. We're going to help you find out what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling usually indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can't identify where the noise is emanating from, that's alright. A professional can help find out where this noise is occurring. You can read more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will create a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can produce noise inside your house. Read our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be caused by a leaky refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more on that.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue. See our buzzing noise guide for additional information.
- Clicking - Clicking can indicate you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can see more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be caused by a loose part. Check out our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A clear noise from your outside unit can mean an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Look at our loud noise guide for more information.
- Humming - Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a broken relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about common air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without examining your system.
Most of the time, we recommend shutting off the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you think there's a problem with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it's better to get problems fixed right away. Contacting a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.