Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your residence, being comfy in your new space year-round is a priority. However, they can present a unique problem for comfort. This is since adding ductwork is costly. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the higher load, since it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most affordable options is to add a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, all without ductwork. Discover more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition could be a great solution.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, since they’re much like ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they transfer heat to make your addition cozier. In fact, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for added rebates and decrease your utility costs for years to come.
Another exclusive feature involves zoned heating and cooling. Because each room often has its own indoor unit, you can set your preferred temperature from room to room. As an example, a mini-split AC is very helpful if you have a space with special temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that are without ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s wiser than installing ductwork and using your current heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is costly. Adding ductwork in your new addition can be expensive. Although the total amount will depend on your home, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system could become stressed. When your present heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your residence before the addition. This may overwhelm your system and make it wear out faster.
- Your comfort could decrease. As your heating and cooling system is sized for specific square footage, your comfort may decrease if your system is forced to manage a larger location. Your heating and cooling may be less powerful, and your utility expenses could get more expensive due to the system needing to run more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Should Get
Like traditional systems, mini-splits are available in various sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most regularly installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Levy & Son Service Experts, we’ll help you select the proper size for your new area. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate big energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or longer when adequately maintained. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Levy & Son Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you pick the ideal model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Levy & Son Service Experts can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re considering a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Contact us at 469-250-0932 today to request a free consultation and estimate.