Cooler months in Dallas are near. In fact, the months of October through February have a track record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances happening throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, set up an annual furnace service now, before the cold of winter arrives.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners recognize that their furnace can discharge deadly carbon monoxide gas, but over half don't do anything to stop it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be very harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be thought of as the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that utilizes fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the opportunity to discharge carbon monoxide if the system is not running properly or if it wasn’t installed correctly.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any potential concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Be sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Search for any other suspicious things that might compromise your safety
- Help you identify any additional areas where you may want to consider adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is operating at its best efficiency, helping give you peace-of-mind that you’re in a good spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to remember that many furnace manufacturers might require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the team at Levy & Son Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 469-250-0932 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the colder months.